Skip to main content

Sneak peek of Ignite

Here is a sneak peek of Ignite! Check back next week to see the playlist that helped inspire this book.


Arabella
          After the incident while setting up the booth Erika had watched me like a hawk and as soon as the booth was ready to go she called Garrett to take me home. I had insisted I was fine but she didn’t believe me. So the rest of the afternoon while my friends were sweating and setting up for the festival I was sitting at home with Luna and a book in front of the air conditioner. I kind of felt bad but it was relief to be away. I really liked my friends but sometimes it was tiring having to try so hard. I felt like I was constantly trying to keep up with what they were saying. Then sometimes it felt like they were just always trying to fill me in on things that technically I had already known about, either way I found myself preferring to spend more and more time alone.
          As I looked back at my book I tried to study this spell so that maybe I could do something that I had been told by everyone I could already do. I sat on the couch and concentrated on being in my room. I was trying to transferendi but it nothing was happening. Finally after trying for an hour I slammed the book shut in frustration just as there was a knock on the door.
          When I opened the door I was slightly shocked to see Evan standing on my doorstep. I hadn’t seen a lot of him lately but he was starting to look a little more like Garrett but not at the same time. His hair was growing out and getting messier every time I saw him but he’d lost a considerable amount of weight and his eyes seemed to be permanently ringed with dark circles. “You know we have a door bell that you can use in case were upstairs.”
          He points to an ear “Yeah but I have super natural hearing so I knew you were close.”
          Oh right I always seem to forget about that somehow. I step back and motion for him to come inside. “So, what brings you over?”
          “Garrett asked me to check in on you.”
          I shake my head and roll my eyes. I love Garrett and he is the one preson I feel like I don’t have to really have to try with but he is a little overprotective. “I’m fine. They’re all just overreacting.”
          Evan raises his eyebrows in question. “Are they?”
          “What is that supposed to mean?” I ask before falling back on to the couch.
          Evan crosses the room and takes a seat in one of the chairs. I’m beginning to think he’s not going to speak again until he clears his throat. “I don’t think their overacting Arabella. They care about you, I care about you and were all worried given the situation right now.”
          “The situation” again, that’s what they keep calling it but this situation is my life. My life that consists of a prophecy, a murderous brother, a werewolf protector/boyfriend, dead friends and me, who is supposed to be the strongest light magical ever but can’t remember how to work her magic. Yeah that situation is not how I thought my senior year of high school would go. I sigh heavily before meeting Evan’s eyes. “I know you all care and I know all of our lives are really messy right now but I am trying.”
          “What do you mean by that?” Evan asks. I glance at the book lying on the coffee table and Evan follows to look at the same book. “Arabella, please tell me that’s some kind of joke.” When I don’t answer Evan stands up and starts pacing around the room. He stops in front of me finally, “Arabella, messing with this kind of magic is really dangerous especially if you don’t know what you’re doing. Promise me that you won’t try to work this kind of magic again…at least until you get your memories back.”
          I roll my eyes dramatically at him and say “Fine, I won’t.”
          “Damn it Arabella! You’re lying!” He exclaims and I notice his voice is rising with panic.
          Crap! I forgot about my eyes changing colors when I lie. I let my head fall back on the couch so I’m not looking at Evan. “I’m sorry. I just feel useless and I thought if I could figure out how to do something I use to be able to do then I could help more and maybe my memories would come back.”
          I hear Evan take a deep breath before speaking again. “I get what you’re trying to do but to mess with this magic by yourself and not fully knowing what you’re doing is just too dangerous. We’ll get your memories back, it’s just going to take time.” Evan walks around the coffee table to sit in front of me, he takes my hands in his. “Now look me in the eye and promise me you won’t do this again.”
          “I promise I won’t do this again.” I tell him which seems to satisfy him because shortly after he gets up and leaves. After he’s gone I wonder around the house feeling even more useless than before. Why couldn’t I just remember something…anything. A frustrated scream comes from my mouth and I shake my head at how silly all of this seems. Feeling defeated I head upstairs to get ready for the musical festival with Garrett.
          A couple hours later I get a text from Garrett letting me know he’s on his way to my house. After telling Luna bye I run down the stairs and stop to check my reflection in the glass doors that lead to the formal dining room. My red ruffled tank top and denim cutoffs match well with the cowboy boots and MaKayla did great at French braiding a small portion in the front of my hair. Poor MaKayla is only over due by a couple of days but she looked ready to pop when I had seen her earlier.
          As soon as I open the door I have to take a breath because my heart kicks up about ten more notches. Garrett is making his way to the door but stops when he sees me. I let my eyes run over him appreciatively. It really should be illegal for anyone to look as good as he does. He’s got his hair pulled back but I can’t blame him with this weather and it seems lighter or maybe it’s the fact that his skin is so tan from working in the sun so much. I watch as his blue eyes roam over me until they finally meet my own. Before I can think I’m running down the stair of the porch and jumping into his arms. He catches me while he chuckles. I love these moments when we feel like every other teenage couple in love but sadly these moments don’t come that often.
~*~
          Once we arrive at the festival Garrett takes my hand in his as we make our way through the crowds of people. I think everyone from the surrounding areas is here too. Of course, it is held on the out skirts of Mobile and it is a pretty big deal in this area but it seems more crowded than normal. Garrett led us over to where all our friends were gathered as well as our parents. “Arabella!” Erika said as she pulled me in for a hug. Afterwards we stood there while our parents laid down some ground rules once they were finished they went off into the crowd. Garrett, Sebastian and Alaric all went to get us something to drink. Erika, Riley and I stand in a circle and discuss the upcoming school year as well as the country dance that will be held in a couple of weeks right before school starts. Anneke and Slate join us. “Hey guys!” Anneke says in a greeting.
          Instantly my defenses go up because I feel the darkness coming from Slate, however I’ve never felt it like this. The darkness in this area right now is different than any I’ve ever felt before or at least from what I remember. I know what everyone says and I know that I shouldn’t be so hard on him because I’ve watched him help in every possible way over the last several months but I just can’t find it in myself to be friends with him. It also really bothers me that Anneke and him seem to have something going on.
          “I need to run to the restroom. I’ll be right back.” I tell Riley since Erika is busy talking with Anneke. He nods but I notice Slate studying me the entire time.  As I make my way back to one of the main buildings that has actual restrooms I get the feeling of being followed when I turn around I notice Slate a few steps behind me. “Why are you following me?”
          He shoves his hands in the pockets of his ripped up black pants. “Because I think you feel it too.”
          “Feel what?” I ask him but the way he says it feels me with unease.
          He looks around like he’s trying to find somebody. “The darkness…”
          I force myself to laugh “Yeah the darkness coming from you.”
          Slate shakes his head, “No it’s not coming from me and if you’d open your mind instead of keeping it locked up you’d know that.”
          I hate that every time I’m alone with Slate he makes it seem like I can help the fact I have no memories right now. He’s always saying stuff like I have the memories locked up and what not. I turn around without saying another word and storm off towards the bathroom again. I hear Slate right on my heels. “Why are you still following me?”
          “Because Garrett is busy and something is wrong I’m making sure you’re safe until he gets back. I may not be your protector but you are my friend and I care about you.” Slate says.
          I’ve finally reach the bathroom and I tell him “Whatever” as I go inside.
          “I’ll be out here when you’re done” he tells me as the door shuts behind me. I shake my head as I go into a stall and try to collect myself. I lean against the stall door and bury my face in my hands. I really wish I just had a normal life.
          A coldness wraps around my ankles and starts to travel up my legs. Goosebumps form over every part of my body and I hear a loud thump against the main door. The coldness continues to travel up my body. My fear and panic has my heart about to beat from my chest and I can barely catch a breath. I really wish Garrett could feel me through the connection right now. I slowly and as quietly as possible unlock and open the stall door. When I peek out I see nothing out of the ordinary I’m still in here alone.
          Crossing the bathroom to get to the sink I look at my reflection in the mirror and shake my head at myself. I can’t believe I got my own self so freaked out. It’s all Slate’s fault and his talk about this unusual darkness. I go to get some paper towels to dry my hands but I end up slipping in some water. As I look down I notice it’s not water…it’s blood.



Until next time... ❤❤

                    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet the characters of Pedal to the Metal: Jagger & Londynn

As I finish up the edits on Pedal to the Metal: Jagger & Londynn I thought you might enjoy seeing the pictures that inspired the characters. Enjoy! Pedal to the Metal: Jagger & Londynn follows the story of Jagger James and Londynn Parrish. Jagger is one of five brothers that have a need for speed. They are all named after 80s music stars, they all race as if their lives depend on it and their all a little bad ass. They grew up on the poorer side of town but it only made them fight harder at the races every weekend.  Jagger met a girl named Harlyn Bexton as a teenager and quickly fell in love. After high school they started a life together only to have tragedy strike. Staying in L.A. is out of the question for Jagger afterwards so he runs to Vegas only to return five years later. Londynn Parrish is your typical trust fund baby. Born and raised in one of the richest parts of L.A., attended a private academy and was given anything money could buy. However, what she wants isn

New Release: Breaking Bloody Mary by Stephanie Nichole

Happy Halloween! I’ve got the perfect Halloween release for you! Breaking Bloody Mary is now live on amazon and it’s free on KU! We’ve all heard about the legend of Bloody Mary but what if the legend wasn’t just a legend? What if Bloody Mary was real? What if she broke free from the mirror that bound her? Olivette and Penn grew up with a love for urban legends. Monthly trips to Conjurer’s Apothecary with the creepy shop owner, Oski, helped their thirst for the supernatural. Olivette and Penn were best friends and while Olivette believed in the magic behind the legends, Penn tried to explain them. Then one day Olivette makes a decision that will change everything. She changes herself to please her mother, leaving Penn and her love for urban legends behind until Bloody Mary is summoned and she manages to break free from the mirror that binds her. The only person Olivette can turn to is Penn and Oski. It soon becomes a clear that Olivette has secrets of her own and

Book Swag

How was your weekend? Mine was pretty awesome. I got my place decorated for Halloween, finished watching the 13 seasons of Supernatural on Netflix (Wow!) and started watching Riverdale. I got some writing done was well which is always great! Also the coolest thing ever was created! Kingston has an awesome store called Readers Envy and my current WIP, Red, has merchandise! A coffee mug, t-shirt and tote bag so far! It's so awesome! Check them out below! Coffee mug-- https://teespring.com/red-october-2018?page=3&tsmac=store&tsmic=readers-envy-author-events#pid=658&cid=102908&sid=front T-shirt-- https://teespring.com/red-9192?page=3&tsmac=store&tsmic=readers-envy-author-events#pid=370&cid=6531&sid=front Tote bag-- https://teespring.com/red-9192?page=3&tsmac=store&tsmic=readers-envy-author-events#pid=526&cid=101936&sid=front