Skip to main content

Pushing the Limits Sneak Peek

Here is a sneak peek of Pushing the Limits. Below is the prologue and the first two chapters. Hope you enjoy!


Prologue
Ten Years Ago
Ace
          I’m impatiently sitting on the bus with my newest library find in my lap. I couldn’t wait to get home to read it to my mom. As soon as I had checked it out from the school library I had read it. Sitting on a bench outside on the playground during lunch didn’t make much difference. I had no friends except for my brothers but they were older so we didn’t attend the same school. However, my mom was my best friend. While I sat there I prayed mom was having a good day today.
          It seemed like here lately she had gotten worse. I knew everyone was saying she was okay but I also knew they were just telling me that because they didn’t think I could handle the truth. Maybe I couldn’t, I mean I couldn’t even handle the thought of my mother not being there when I get home every day. Ever since she got sick I run from the bus to the house and straight to her room. I climb up in bed and she pulls me close to her so my head can rest on her shoulder while I read whatever book I’ve checked out from the library.
          Mom lies there and listens to me read for however long it takes me to finish the book. She never interrupts me but she does fall asleep sometimes, she’s been falling asleep more and more lately. It makes me worry. As soon as Jagger gets home he fixes mom and me a glass of lemonade and brings them into the room while Axell picks up Jovi from the next door neighbors. Mom doesn’t feel like watching him anymore either.
          When I had left for school this morning mom was still been asleep so I hadn’t got to see her all day it which made me more anxious to get home now. A thought occurs to me while riding on the bus. Someday I want to find someone just like my mom. My mom and dad are best friends, they know exactly what the other is thinking, I want that.
          The school bus slows down until it finally comes to a stop. I jump up from my seat and quickly make my way out of the bus. As soon as my feet hit the sidewalk I take off in a mad dash down the two blocks to my house. I swing open the door. “Mom! I got a new book, you’re going to love it!” I holler out as I drop my backpack on the floor and run down the hallway. The sound of crying stops me dead in my tracks. Looking around the door frame, I see my dad sitting on the bed with his face in his hands, crying, crying so hard he can’t breathe and dad never cries. The bed is empty.
          Mom? Where’s mom? Dad looks up and meets my eyes. His eyes tell me everything I need to know. Mom is gone. My heart shatters into a million pieces right there in the hallway of my house. Tears roll down my cheeks and the book falls from my hands making a loud thud in the silent house. Jagger and Bowie come home at some point but one look at me was all they needed to know what has happened. I’m still standing in the doorway, silently crying to myself when Jagger scoops me up into his arms and takes me to the kitchen.
          Jagger sit me at the table and returns with two glasses of lemonade before sitting beside me. The sight of the lemonade just reminds me of all the things I’ll never have again. I’ll never share another glass of lemonade with mom. I’ll never read her another book. She’ll never tell me how handsome I look before I leave for school. She’ll never put another Band-Aid on some cut I get from trying to keep up with my brothers. I’ll never hear her laugh again. I’ll never smell her vanilla and honey scent again. It’s all gone, just like that.
          Jagger wraps his arms around my shoulders and pull me to his chest. He keeps telling me it’ll all be okay but it’s a lie. I know it is. While sitting in that kitchen I vow that I’ll never fall in love. If love hurts this bad then I never want it again.





Chapter 1
Four years ago
Ace
          As I drive down the street I notice there’s a bigger crowd than normal. I rev the engine of my Mustang as Sariah and I make my way to the racing circle. The races will start any minute so I’m running a little late but I could blame that on Sariah and not being able to keep her hands to herself, not that I’m complaining. However, I have a reputation to uphold. It’s up to Bowie and me to keep the reputation of the James brothers alive with Jagger in Vegas now and Axell taking a step back for Sadie.
          Losing both Jagger and Axell in the race scene left a lot of pressure on me and Bowie, we were managing but that was just another reason I never let things get too serious with a girl. I’d watched as the loss of Harlyn killed a part of Jagger and I had watched Axell give up pieces of himself just to please Sadie. I was sure Bowie would have been the same way if Hollis was still around but since she had ran away without even a goodbye it just made him a little crazier. He’d do anything that came into his mind.
          Then there was our youngest brother Jovi but he was still too young to get tied up into anything we were but I didn’t doubt that he’d be racing with us soon enough. I spot Bowie’s car and park next to it. Axell, Sadie and the rest of our group are standing there waiting for the races to start. I get out of the car and head over to Ben, the guy that sets up the races to hand over my buy in. “Didn’t think you were going to make it but Bowie kept saying you would.” Ben tells me.
          I shrug and give him my practiced I don’t give shit smirk, “Yeah, well you know me.”
          Ben takes the money with a laugh, “That I do, okay you’ll be racing against Ralph, Bowie and Ryce, Connor and Damon. Take your places and good luck, no dirty tricks guys, keep it clean.”
          Bowies arm comes around my neck “Good luck little brother and be safe.”
          I throw my head back and laugh “Okay brother but remember we’re pushing the limits.”
          I get back in my car and take my position to race. I turn up my music to drown out all the other noise. The bass from the system rattles through my chest, vibrates my blood and creates an energy within me. I stare straight ahead and rev my engine again. It takes a certain amount of stupid to get behind a wheel of a car and race, going at heart stopping speeds, taking our lives into our own hands. One wrong move and we can be dead but there is also a unique beauty in that too. Psyching yourself out is necessary, acting as if the people lined up on the sides of the streets aren’t there is part of mine. However, I glance over because something catches my eye.
          Damn! My eyes travel up her body to her face. I stop to appreciate her body but that face. I know that face but how? I’d remember a face like that if I had seen it before that’s for damn sure.
          Shaking my head I look back to the road in front of me. Now is not the time to get distracted by some pretty girl. I rev my engine and watch as Sariah takes her place in between the cars and starts the countdown. The moment she says go, I’m gone. It’s easy enough to keep Ralph in my rearview mirror. Ralph is a cool guy and I almost feel bad for not giving him a chance but a part of me just wants to get this race over with. I want to see her again, I want to know her name, I need her to still be in the crowd when I get back. Then I wonder what the hell is wrong with me? When have I ever had this kind of reaction to a girl?
          I shake my head to clear the thoughts of the mystery girl from my mind, pressing my foot down on the pedal, ‘pedal to the metal baby’ is all I think while shifting gears. The sidelines become the much needed blur and the wind whipping at my face gives me the extra kick of adrenaline. This is what it feels like to be alive.
          I cross the finish line with ease and the crowd cheers so loudly it can be heard over my music. After parking I collect my winnings, I turn to find Sariah right behind me. Normally I love to have a girl right there but in this moment it’s annoying. I want to find the mystery girl. I take Sariah’s hands in mine and look her in the eye “Cool it for a minute.” I drop her hands and walk away.
As I pass people they congratulate me and I mumble my thanks while scanning the crowd for her. Finally, I see those warm brown eyes, watching as a sexy little smirk comes over her face. She turns around and heads in the opposite direction of me. I try to catch up to her but the crowd is too thick and soon enough I’m watching her incredibly long dark hair disappear into the night.
          Damn it!

Kynlee
          When my parents had first told me that we were moving to Texas to help my grandmother during my sophomore year of high school I had been livid! However, I finally started to see how this might work out for the best. I had time to reinvent myself before I got to move back to Los Angeles. I knew that as soon as I graduated I was moving back and pursuing my dream of becoming a model and playmate. I also knew my parents would never approve.
          When I had left two weeks ago they had more or less told me that I was no longer their daughter but that was something I had expected. However, I had not expected how badly that would hurt to actually hear. Now, I was living in a tiny two bedroom apartment with my best friend, Kenndrix. She was an aspiring screenplay writer. She was as beautiful as she was shy.
          I knew she didn’t understand the need of my dreams but she supported them none the less. Kenndrix was tall and curvy with bright green eyes and reddish brown hair that was as long as mine. She didn’t see her beauty but everyone else did that was for sure. I came out of my room dressed in a black lacey corset and black leather miniskirt with five inch heels. Tonight was the races and I was going. I had seen Ace James on social media and I hated to admit that I was still crushing on the boy but then again some things never change. Ace James was still hot the only difference was now I had a chance.
          I was no longer shy. I knew what I had and I wasn’t afraid to use it to my advantage. When I knew what I wanted I went after it until I got it, end of story and right now I wanted Ace James. “Come on Kenndrix.” I whine when I see her sitting on the couch in yoga pants and a tank top. I knew she didn’t want to go but I knew it’d do her good to get out. I walk over and take her laptop from her, grab her hands, pull her up and walk her to her room.
          “Kynlee, I don’t want to go. I don’t fit in there.” Kenndrix says quietly from her spot on the bed.
          I roll my eyes while rummaging through her closet. “Like hell you don’t! Anyone can go to the races just stop worrying so much.”
          “I’m not you, Kynlee.”
          I grab a pair of jeans and lacey top from her closet and turned around to face her. “No you’re not, your Kenndrix which is awesome! So wear this and come on! We’re going.” A few minutes later she reappears dressed in the clothes I gave her. I had hoped she’d pair them with some heels but instead her black and white Converse are on her feet. Baby steps I reminded myself. “You look hot!” Kenndrix rolls her eyes at me. “You don’t give yourself enough credit.”
          I knew that years of teasing from our peers had caused this and I could only imagine how much worse it had been once I moved. I had always been the one to protect her from them. I hated to see how they had broken her confidence. I was going to fix it. I could feel the uncertainty and anxiety coming off Kenndrix as we got closer to the races. “Look I just want to see Ace race then we can leave.”
          Kenndrix shakes her head at me “I never knew what you saw in Ace.”
          I laugh “You mean besides the fact that he’s hot!”
          “Okay yes he’s a hottie but he’s also a player and kind of an ass.”
          I shrug. “Just my type. Besides I think there’s more to him than just that but no one takes the time to figure it out.”
======
          When Kenndrix and I get to the races Ace wasn’t there yet but the minute he pulls up everyone knows. I’m not shocked to see some blonde girl with him when he gets out of the car. Some things never change and girls throwing themselves at Ace was one of those things. It was something I think I can handle.
          Once he’s in his car I make sure I’m in his line of sight. Sure enough he looks my way and our eyes lock. I can tell by the look on his face that he felt it too. A wave of heat rolls through my body and I know in that instant that I have started something I won’t be able to stop.






Chapter 2
Kynlee
        A few days after the races and I’m still feeling satisfied with “running” into Ace. I was looking forward to seeing him again this weekend. From what I had gathered Ace raced every weekend which made my planning easier. I had found a job as a waitress at a fun restaurant that was country themed, Wild Wild Wes’, and the tips were amazing. I was treating Kenndrix and me to dinner and a little shopping tomorrow. We could use something new for this week’s races.
          I slept in late the next day, I’m not shocked to find that Kenndrix has already left for class when I wake up but I quickly send her text letting her know we are going out to eat after class. Kenndrix calls and says she’ll pick me up so I dress quickly throwing my hair up into a ponytail. I meet her outside and we head to a burger place not too far from our apartment.
          We’re half way through our meal when I notice a blush come across Kenndrix’s cheeks. She quickly averts her eyes from the door where she had been looking. I look back and notice two guys, Jaxx Scott and Pierce Etheridge, both were good friends to Ace last I knew. Sure enough Ace follows in behind them causing me to nearly choke on my French fry. “Okay which one just caused that blush Kenndrix?”
          She shakes her head. “Jaxx but it’s just silly. A guy like him wouldn’t even give me the time of day.”
          “Don’t be so hard on yourself. He’d be lucky to get a girl like you, remember that.” I tell her. I feel eyes on us but keep engaging with Kenndrix because I’m pretty sure it’s Ace and the guys who are staring.
          “Hey Kenndrix.” I hear a deep voice say. Looking up I notice that it’s Jaxx Scott. I kick Kenndrix under the table because she has yet to look up and acknowledge him. Jaxx stands there with a hopeful look in his hazel eyes. I have to admit I see what Kenndrix sees. His sandy blonde hair was cut in a short, spikey do. His face still holds the innocent touch to it with a charming boyish smile. He’s tall and muscular.
          “Hey Jaxx.” Kenndrix manages to whisper while tucking a piece of hair behind her ear.
          “How have you been?”
          I watch as Kenndrix turns an even darker shade of red. “Good and you?”
          “Really good. Haven’t seen you around since graduation, we should hang out sometime.” Jaxx offers. I know this will be the moment that Kenndrix shuts down so I grab her phone from across the table and shove it at him.
          “Here put your number in her phone and she’ll text you hers.” I tell him trying to give him an encouraging smile. Once he punches in his number he goes to sit with Ace and Pierce. I quickly send a text to him from Kenndrix’s phone. I can still feel eyes on me and I’m pretty sure it’s still Ace but I will not move the focus to myself. Ace is going to have to wait, Kenndrix is more important right now.
          “What the hell are you doing?” Kenndrix whispers demandingly.
          I shrug and slide the phone back across to her. “Texting Jaxx so he’ll have your number.”
          Kenndrix scoffs “He’s just being nice Kynlee, he doesn’t actually want my number.”
          I roll my eyes. “Yes he does because he didn’t have to come over here Kenndrix. He didn’t even have to pass our table to get where they’re sitting, so yes he wanted your number, he wasn’t just trying to be nice. You’re beautiful and he’s into you, accept it!”
          She starts to laugh which causes me to laugh. We finish then go shopping for new outfits. I don’t think that it will take too much convincing to get Kenndrix to go to the races tomorrow.

Ace
          There she was, the mystery girl I had lost at the races, sitting with Kenndrix Golden. I had wanted to go talk to her but I knew Jaxx had a thing for Kenndrix, always had. So instead of me going over to the mystery girl I encouraged Jaxx to go talk to Kenndrix and suggest they hang out sometime. Apparently, it had gone well because he came back over grinning like a goof. I had a feeling that I’d get my chance to talk to the mystery girl soon enough.
          Sure enough, the minute I arrive at the races the following night I scan the crowd for her brown eyes. I find them easily enough since she’s with Kenndrix who is standing with Jaxx, Pierce and the rest of my group. I’m almost late again so I have no time to go mingle right now, jogging over to Ben and the other racers.
          “Cutting it close, as usual.” Ben comments as I hand him my buy in for the night. I wasn’t racing until the third race tonight so I shoot a text over to Jaxx to find out Kenndrix friends name for me.
          Jaxx: Kynlee Adams.
          Damn that name sounds familiar but I can’t figure out why. Before I know it my adrenaline is raging and it’s my turn to race. This race is even easier than the week before. Once I’m parked I make my way over to Jaxx and Pierce but to my disappointment I don’t see Kenndrix or Kynlee anywhere. “Where are the girls?”
          “Oh Sadie led them over to JamesTown so they could use the restroom.” Pierce informs me.
          I release a breath I hadn’t realized I’d been holding. I don’t know why I feel like I need to know Kynlee so badly. It makes me feel out of control and I hate that but maybe if I can get my fill of her for a few hours I’ll get over it. Actually I’m sure I will. That’s just how I’m wired. Once the last race is finished we head over to JamesTown to find the girls.
          Kynlee is easy to spot the moment we walk into JamesTown, the place hasn’t gotten packed yet but she’s on the dance floor moving in ways that should be illegal. However, that isn’t what caused the green jealous monster to rear its head through my body. No it’s the guy that had his hands on her hips. The look in his eye I know well but something about it rubs me the wrong way.
          Before I know it I down a shot and I’m crossing the bar, heading straight for Kynlee. I know the guy with his hands all over her, Bryan. Bryan and I have never gotten along so this would just be another one for the book. I step in front of Kynlee and her brown eyes travel up my body until they meet mine. She gives me that sexy little smirk and I smile back at her and give her a wink. “Hey baby doll.”
          “Yo Ace back off, she’s with me.” Bryan tells me.
          The hell she is, I slip my hand around Kynlee’s wrist and tug her towards me, she comes easily enough. I step in front of her. “No Bryan she’s with me.” Bryan takes a step towards me but I don’t budge, he glares at me for a second before turning around and walking away muttering a string of cruse words. I turn back around and look down at Kynlee. “Now why would you even want to dance with Bryan?”
          She shrugs. “I didn’t. I just wanted to dance he’s the one that came over and started dancing with me.”
          I laugh “And you just let him.”
          Again she shrugs. “Who am I to deny him a dance? No harm done with dancing, besides it probably just made his whole damn year.”
          Slipping my finger under her chin I tilt her head up so I can look into those brown eyes of hers. I shake my head. “You’re trouble baby doll.”
          Kynlee studies me for a minute before saying “A little trouble never hurt anyone” then she just turns around and walks away. I watch as she leaves but I can’t seem to move. The way those brown eyes had stared into me, like she was seeing into my soul, past all the bullshit and front I put up, almost like she saw the real me.
         





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet the characters of Pedal to the Metal: Jagger & Londynn

As I finish up the edits on Pedal to the Metal: Jagger & Londynn I thought you might enjoy seeing the pictures that inspired the characters. Enjoy! Pedal to the Metal: Jagger & Londynn follows the story of Jagger James and Londynn Parrish. Jagger is one of five brothers that have a need for speed. They are all named after 80s music stars, they all race as if their lives depend on it and their all a little bad ass. They grew up on the poorer side of town but it only made them fight harder at the races every weekend.  Jagger met a girl named Harlyn Bexton as a teenager and quickly fell in love. After high school they started a life together only to have tragedy strike. Staying in L.A. is out of the question for Jagger afterwards so he runs to Vegas only to return five years later. Londynn Parrish is your typical trust fund baby. Born and raised in one of the richest parts of L.A., attended a private academy and was given anything money could buy. However, what she wants isn

New Release: Breaking Bloody Mary by Stephanie Nichole

Happy Halloween! I’ve got the perfect Halloween release for you! Breaking Bloody Mary is now live on amazon and it’s free on KU! We’ve all heard about the legend of Bloody Mary but what if the legend wasn’t just a legend? What if Bloody Mary was real? What if she broke free from the mirror that bound her? Olivette and Penn grew up with a love for urban legends. Monthly trips to Conjurer’s Apothecary with the creepy shop owner, Oski, helped their thirst for the supernatural. Olivette and Penn were best friends and while Olivette believed in the magic behind the legends, Penn tried to explain them. Then one day Olivette makes a decision that will change everything. She changes herself to please her mother, leaving Penn and her love for urban legends behind until Bloody Mary is summoned and she manages to break free from the mirror that binds her. The only person Olivette can turn to is Penn and Oski. It soon becomes a clear that Olivette has secrets of her own and

Book Swag

How was your weekend? Mine was pretty awesome. I got my place decorated for Halloween, finished watching the 13 seasons of Supernatural on Netflix (Wow!) and started watching Riverdale. I got some writing done was well which is always great! Also the coolest thing ever was created! Kingston has an awesome store called Readers Envy and my current WIP, Red, has merchandise! A coffee mug, t-shirt and tote bag so far! It's so awesome! Check them out below! Coffee mug-- https://teespring.com/red-october-2018?page=3&tsmac=store&tsmic=readers-envy-author-events#pid=658&cid=102908&sid=front T-shirt-- https://teespring.com/red-9192?page=3&tsmac=store&tsmic=readers-envy-author-events#pid=370&cid=6531&sid=front Tote bag-- https://teespring.com/red-9192?page=3&tsmac=store&tsmic=readers-envy-author-events#pid=526&cid=101936&sid=front