Skip to main content

Magicals On Sale!

This is just to let you all know that Magicals ebook will be on sale for just .99 starting June 3-7! I'll post the link to the book on Saturday morning but I hope your as excited as I am! For those of you who haven't read Magicals yet, I'm adding chapters 1 & 2 below.



Chapter 1
Arabella
Right before take-off I feel nerves and panic explode within me. I have never been one for flying. That might explain why I haven't been "home" in three years. That and technically my mom and I were in hiding, however, I am on a plane waiting for takeoff now. Leaving Paris is bittersweet, I think I truly found myself during my time here but I have missed home so much. Home is Daphne, Alabama, an average size town but small compared to Paris, France. Daphne is located right off I-10, it's a suburb to Mobile, Alabama. Being that it's on the eastern shoreline we have a beautiful bay area that always leaves the town smelling kind of salty. It really is a lot more fantastic than it sounds.
Once dad, Wayne and I are in the air I look down and watch as Paris disappears. I wish we could have left in the night just so I could see the city lights one last time but we don't always get what we want I think to myself. That's for sure, if we did I certainly would not have asked for the past three weeks. My dad and Wayne, his best friend and protector, are deep in conversation. Grabbing my ear phones and iPod, I hit play and within seconds I'm lost in the music, closing my eyes I drift off to sleep. Dad wakes me as we get ready to land. I'm not sure which is worse taking off or landing.
Making our way through the airport towards baggage claim I spot a familiar face about the same time as Wayne does. I hear the sigh as he sees Kathy, his wife for the first time since he got to Paris with my dad. I'm sure that's the longest they've been apart since they got together. I study her and find it odd yet comforting that she really hasn't changed. Kathy is the complete opposite of what my mom was yet, they were best friends and Kathy had taken the oath to protect my mom when she married Wayne. I can't really imagine what she must be feeling right now knowing that she couldn't protect her from death's hand. Wayne quickens his pace, as he reaches her he drops his bag and pulls her into his arms, hugging her as if he hadn't seen her in years instead of just a few weeks. Watching this I realize just how tall Kathy really is. Wayne stands at 6' 6", broad shoulders and square jaw, shoulder length curly sandy blond hair, and ocean blue eyes. Kathy comes right to his shoulders, I never noticed this before, she has to be at least 5' 10" and beautiful. I notice her caramel brown hair is not the short choppy bob it was when I left but now hangs to her shoulders. I really like it, it brings out her high cheekbones and hazel eyes more. 
Finally, they break the hug and Kathy turns to me "Arabella!" she says drawing me in for a hug. It's familiar and exactly what I needed. Moms give the best hugs and I needed a mom hug. Pulling back but leaving her hands on my upper arms she says "Let me look at you, it's been such a long time" giving me a once over "well, you certainly have grown up Belle but you're far too skinny, we need to fix that". I laugh as she puts her arm around my shoulder and head for the exit as dad and Wayne finish collecting our luggage, Luna and Poe.
Luna and Poe are my two cats and yes they're named after books. Luna reminded me of my favorite character from Harry Potter because of her white coat and intuition. Poe on the other hand is named after my favorite author Edgar Allan Poe. Little did I know that when I picked the name that he would live up to it so well. Not only is he solid black with sky gray eyes he's also incredibly mysterious even for a cat.
Loading the car takes a lot more time that we had thought it would. We all pile into the car, Wayne and dad in the front, Kathy and I along with Poe and Luna in the backseat. Once again I feel the need for my iPod, I'm exhausted and don't really feel like making small talk, I go through my artists list until I find Sam Smith, pressing play and closing my eyes. We have a three and half hour drive from Birmingham to Daphne, so sleep sounds pretty good. Then I remembered that I promised I'd let Javier, my best friend from Paris, know once I had landed safely. I quickly grabbed my phone and texted "I'm officially back in Alabama" within seconds I had a reply that read "Well, if it gets too horrible just put on your red shoes, click your heels three times and repeat there's no place like Paris ;) "This brought a smile to my face, only he would give me a Wizard of Oz movie reference. Javi was the only one in Paris who knew my past and exactly what I really was. I sent him a text "haha, I'll remember that, tu me manques". In French we don't say 'I miss you' we say 'tu me manques' which translates to 'you are missing from me'. I felt tears form behind my eyes but refused to let them. I got one last text from him that said "Aww you too amour." I closed my phone and shut my eyes.
As soon as we are close to Daphne I wake up. I can feel the change in the air, almost like it's charged with electricity. Rolling the window down as we get onto I-10. Taking a deep breath I smell the scents I've missed, salt water, alfalfa, earth and magic. I sigh just thinking about magic. I've used very little of it over the last three years. It isn't safe to use when you’re hiding from your brother whose gone dark. When mom and I ran I had made a promise to only use magic when absolutely necessary, a promise that kept until the end. I made a lot of promises during that time, some I wish I hadn't.
Choosing Paris was easy for mom, her light magical blood line, the Sauveterre's, were originally from there. Eventually, her family’s coven had migrated to America and was drawn to Daphne by the De Luca coven. The De Luca coven was dark and wreaking havoc on the small town, stealing, possessing, kidnapping, torturing, cursing and killing. It was because of one curse in particular that the Sauveterre's came, the werewolf curse. De Luca had placed it on a Freeman bloodline. Once my family and the Freeman's joined together they ran the dark magicals from Daphne and they hadn't returned in centuries until three years ago, on my birthday.
Looking around I saw the purple and yellow 'Welcome to Daphne' sign. Thinking of mom I quickly grab my iPod again. My mom was a huge music buff and she lived to watch musicals. Whenever we could we would play this game, where we would pick a song for the current situation, almost like giving ourselves a soundtrack to the moments we were living in. Scrolling through my artist playlist I find what I'm looking for, Jason Aldean. Mom loved every type of music, something she passed on to me, and growing up in Alabama it was guaranteed that you liked some kind of country. I know the perfect song by him to soundtrack this moment, “I Took it with me” by Jason Aledan. No matter where I was in the world, Alabama would always be home. Daphne would always be the place I belonged. I would always take this place with me.
We crossed the city line, I hit play thinking of mom and how she would nod her head in approval. Within a couple yards of being within the city line the magic in my veins burns. It's like it knows were home, I roll up the sleeve of my hoodie and see my veins look like lightening. Looking around the seat towards my dad I see his veins doing the same thing. Taking in another deep breath I feel myself start to relax until I'm hit with a tidal wave of anger. Only it's not my anger, it's Garrett's and it's coming through our connection that has been disconnected since I fled from Daphne. I take a deep breath until I can get the anger to subside, finally it does. It leaves me wondering what could make him so angry.
As we make our way through town to our house I look around. Not much has changed. We pass Daphne high school, where I start to school tomorrow morning even though it's Friday. I see city hall and Manci's antique club who has the best burger in town. Malbis Restaurant is up the street and right next door is Kathy's antique store. I see Freeman's, Wayne’s family body shop, up ahead across from the red light on the right corner I see Domachelli's, my family’s Italian restaurant. Making our way through town is pretty quick, it's late and there's hardly any traffic. Passing D'olive cemetery I know we’re close to being home, taking the left onto our street. My family as well as the Freeman's live out here in the rural area. I see my house up ahead.
"La mia bellezza, we're home" dad says. My dad, Michael Domachelli is full blooded Italian, consequently he has always called me ‘la mia bellezza’ meaning my beauty, even back when it wasn't so true. There was a time when I was awkward and shy, oversized glasses, braces, bad haircut, no sense of style, acne and overweight, however, I'm none of those things today. I remove my ear buds, grabbing my sleeping cats, one in each arm. I manage to make it out of the car. All the while they sleep away; it must be so hard to be a cat I think. The instant I'm outside the car I can sense them. I turn and look to the left of my house by the big willow tree. There they are two wolves, werewolves to be exact. My family and the Freeman clan made a promise centuries ago to protect one another and that's exactly what we do. With the promise came the special connections, each Freeman has there Sauvetrre to protect and vice versa. Based on your age you get the person closest to you. By the age of five we take our oath and create the connection. The Freeman would feel certain emotions that are incredibly high from their magical and vice versa. My connection with Wayne and Kathy's youngest son Garrett had become disconnected by all the distance that was between us but clearly it was back now given the anger I felt not too long ago. Looking at the tree I nod and say "Hey Makayla, hey Evan" I know they can hear it with their supernatural hearing.
Walking up to my house should be second nature to me however, it feels different this time. It’s emptier now, just dad, no mom, no Amadeus. It all seems so different. Stopping before I reach the porch stairs I look up and study my house. Two stories of pale yellow siding with white shutters and pillars as well as a wraparound porch. Two wicker rocking chairs and a table between them sit to the right of the white front door. If you take a left you'll find the handmade wooden swing Wayne, Evan and Garrett made hanging as you round the corner. It looks out over the garden and trees. It's one of the most peaceful places you'll ever find. Moving towards the front door I make my way into the house, putting down Poe and Luna in the foyer so they can stretch. Immediately they are gone, bounding up the stairs towards my room. Looking over my left shoulder I see the dining room doors are closed. It's probably been like that since the last time it was used on my birthday almost three years ago when everything had changed. It was formal and elegant and a part of me aches to walk over and open the doors because it was the last place we were all together as a family. Instead I turn and walk through the living room doorway. It still remains the same. Hardwood floors, big flat screen TV, multiple electronic devices, all black leather furniture and multiples lamps, none that match though. Along the wall directly in front me are floor to ceiling shelves that are home to all of the books, DVDs, music and pictures. Making my away across the room I find my mom’s favorite shelf, musicals, she loved musicals and we own every one of them. She knew every song by heart; she loved them so much she picked my middle name from her favorite one, Cosette. I run my fingers across the DVDs and remember my mom’s singing voice. It was like an angels, of course we have advantage over the average, every light magical has a special talent and ours, my moms and I, was singing. God, I miss her.
Turning away before the tears start to form I walk out of the living room and look up at the stairs. Slowly I make my way up them, taking a right I can see my door ahead at the end of the hall. The big wooden 'A' that Garrett made me still hangs on the outside. Luna is patiently waiting at the door for me, hearing my footsteps she turns her head towards me. Her golden eyes lock with mine almost like she's giving me strength to cross the rest of the hallway. She turns back around and raises a paw to the door. "I'm coming Luna" I say to her as Poe comes running around me trying to beat me. He does, of course, I stand at the door, taking a deep breath I place my hand on the knob and open the door. 
Chapter 2
Arabella
Opening the door was suddenly a scary thing for me. It was almost as if I was opening up the past, going back to the girl I use to be and I didn't want that. As soon as the door was open Luna and Poe dash inside despite the fact that it was pitch black. Dad had closed the blinds and curtains, carefully making my way into the room I felt around to my left for where my nightstand and lamp should be. "Ouch!" found it as I rammed my thigh into the corner of the nightstand, that's going to leave a mark. After a little time and a lot of noise I find the lamp switch. Light floods the room and suddenly I feel like I'm 10 years old again. This is exactly the room I had wanted then. Brown and turquoise flowered bedding and rich brown walls with turquoise fleur de lis boarding the top of the wall. My wood desk is to the right of me it's still cluttered with my stereo and a bunch of papers from homework that I never got to finish. The door beside my desk would lead to my walk in closet which probably has my old clothes that are much too big for me now inside. The room dips into a cubby from there, a full length mirror stands in the right corner at a diagonal, and across from it in the left corner is my chocolate brown leather easy chair. I remember begging for the chair because I wanted a place to read. When sitting in the chair you look out an overly large window and see Garrett's house from there. He had the whole third floor to himself because he had bribed Evan to let him have the attic. Glancing out the window I can see the house but there are no lights on in what used to be his room. I can't help but wonder if it still is.
Continuing my walk down memory lane I pass by the bathroom and go to the large bookcase next to it. It's over loaded with books. You can see the shelves bowing if you look closely. No matter where I'm living at in the world my book case would always look the same, Edgar Allan Poe, William Shakespeare, Jane Austen, Emily Bronte to name a few. The final piece of furniture in my room is one that I almost want to try and avoid looking at. My dresser, I sigh inwardly as I look to my left wall and see the multiple picture frames. Making my way towards them I feel my legs begin to shake. Taking a deep breath I pick up the first frame, white with gold glitter, Dad and I and The Hangout music festival when I was eight. Mom took this picture and I remember her laughing because we were so sunburned.
Putting it back I find my hand moving to the next, silver and black polka dot frame, my brother Amadeus and I at Mobile Bay on a summer day. If you look at the background you can see the storm clouds brewing. Amadeus looked exactly like my dad with the exception of his eyes. He had moms green eyes. Studying the picture I keep trying to figure out where it all went wrong. When did he decide to become a dark magical? Why would he even want to? Shaking my head I place the frame back down, asking questions that I'll never get answers to will do me no good now. 
I almost skip the next because it's just too hard but I find myself wanting to remember another good time so I pick up the hot pink frame that says 'love' on it. It's from mom and dad’s wedding day. They had just cut the cake, laughing and staring into one another's eyes. Dad always looked at mom like she was the only light in the room. He once told me that she was his angel and he'd be lost without her. Remembering him saying that breaks my heart in a whole new way.
Grabbing the next, panda bear frame, I see myself and mom staring at the camera, big smiles and green eyes. Of course, mine are hidden behind those horrendous glasses but you can still see the green peeking out. Mom took the picture of us on my 11th birthday at Domachelli's. I didn’t really want to take the picture because I hadn't felt too good but she smiled and sang to me and suddenly all was right in the world. I had sat beside her and smiled while she snapped the picture. 
Skimming the next picture, a dark wood frame, I see a picture I took at one of our family bbq's. The Freeman's and my family always had bbq's and for some reason I had decided to take a picture of everyone. Mom and dad are laughing at something Wayne said while Kathy is covering her mouth from laughing so hard. Garrett is getting a piggy back ride from Evan and Amadeus has his arm around Makayla's waist and is kissing the top of her forehead. This was the "mistake" picture as they called it. I had managed to get one where everyone was looking and smiling at the camera but I never felt like it really captured our lives. This did, it was real, it was happy, it was love and it was life.
The last frame is teal with little wood flowers glued onto it. Garrett made it for me as a Christmas present. Inside the frame is a picture of us from when I was 9. We are sitting in the old Oak tree inside the D' Olive cemetery. It was one of our favorite places to go, we both felt drawn and safe there because of the magic. Rumors had always been spread around Daphne that it was haunted but rather that was true or not I never knew. I did know that it was built by light magicals so every time I entered those old metal gates my veins burned with the magic. Also, because it was built by light magicals it made it one of the safest places for Garrett and I, no dark magical could harm or enter the ground or anything on it. Looking at the picture I find myself falling into the memory.
"Come on! Arabella get up here!" he kept telling me but I was scared to try to climb the tree. I wasn't as wild as he was; I guess his werewolf gene made him feel invincible. Not to mention that at only 10 years old he was taller and stronger than most. I, however, was not. I stood on the ground looking up at him in the tree.
"Come on Belle" he said again. I was never going to live that nickname down I thought to myself. When I was younger I was obsessed with Beauty and the Beast, mostly because it reminded me of our relationship. Him the beast and me, Belle. For years I would only answer to Belle which is probably why the nickname stuck. Although I never imagined I would still be stuck with it.
Finally I look into his ocean blue eyes and say "I can't Garrett, I'm too scared, What if I fall?" I remember him laughing then his big crooked smile came to his face. "Silly girl, I won't let you fall, remember I'm your protector, I'll always protect you. Now give me your hand" he demanded extending his hand down.
Still unsure I found a place for my foot and reached for his hand after a few struggles I was sitting next to Garrett looking out over the cemetery. "See not so bad" he winked at me. I smiled and pulled my camera from my jacket pocket. After multiple attempts he took the camera from my hands. I wasn't tall enough to take a picture of us without cutting off part of his head. "Smile Belle" he said and I did. We smiled and laughed that day sitting in that old oak tree looking out over the cemetery.
I don't know why we loved it there so much, it should have been spooky with most of its headstones tilting or crumbling and the weeds over taking most of the ground, but the tall over grown trees were beautiful. Eventually, we came down from the tree. I found it much easier to get down from the tree then up it. He let me go first, telling me where to put my feet and hands with each step. Whenever he felt my fear grow, he'd reassure me that I was doing great and that I was almost there. Once my feet hit the ground I jumped up and down, chanting "I did it! I did it!”  Garrett laughed, I looked up at him and he had that smiled I loved plastered on his face.
"You sure did" he said getting ready to make his way down the tree. I turned away to head towards the gate because I knew he'd catch up. Suddenly, I heard a snap from the tree, a sickening crack followed by a yelp and a thud. Turning around I saw Garrett lying on the ground, tears forming in his eyes.
"Garrett!" I yelled as I ran to him. Falling onto the ground next to him "are you okay?"
"No" he replied "I think my leg's broken." I could feel his pain and knew he was right. I knew his werewolf gene would let him heal faster than any normal kid but it would take days and we had at least two miles to get back to his house. Not knowing what else to do I summoned my magic, it burned throughout my veins lighting them up like lightening in a stormy sky. I had never tried to heal a human only animals and flowers. I was scared but Garrett was trying not to cry and he never cried. Deciding right then I had to do something.
Nervously, I placed my hands on his leg and let my magic run through me into him. After a few minutes his leg was as good as new. He smiled at me and said thanks. I looked at him and said "Your too wild for your own good" as I get up off the ground.
            "That's my job, I'll keep you wild" he said winking at me. Straightening my glasses back into position on my nose I turned to him "Then I guess it's now my job to keep you safe" as we left the cemetery.
Hearing the creaky floorboard I turn around to see my dad standing in my doorway. He knew I was lost in thought, he could probably even guess if he sees the picture. Thinking about those two kids in that magical cemetery and how we both went back on our promises. Placing the picture back on my dresser my dad says "La mia bellezza, you need to get to bed, you have school tomorrow".
 Nodding my head in agreement "I will as soon as I shower and find my stuff for tomorrow."
"Ok" he says turning to leave but he stops and crosses my room. Hugging me he said "I've missed you la mia bellezza, I'm so glad you’re home and safe". Kissing the top of my head, he pulls away.
 I look into his chocolate brown eyes, "I've missed you too daddy" I say with a smile.
 "I love you mia bellezza".
"I love you too" I reply.
He turns to leave and as he does I study him. If I believed it was possible for someone to shrink I would definitely say he has. His normal 6' 2" frame seems at least four inches shorter now and he seems to have lost weight from his already lean and muscular physique. Normally, his chocolate brown hair barely touches the collar of his shirt and is always slicked back but now it is messy and hanging almost to his shoulders. He also needs to shave but I have to admit the stubble kind of suits him. Turning back he gives me a sad smile, I notice the dark circles under his eyes. Losing mom was a lot harder on him than he'll ever admit and it worries me for him.
My parents met at college while my mom was studying abroad in Italy with her then protector Gary, Wayne's younger brother who was killed in a car accident shortly after my parents were married. She saw my dad in a little cafe; she said she knew immediately that she had found her romantic soulmate. Mom believed we had all kinds of soulmates, romantic, friendship, animals. Mom was great at larva her magic so dad had no idea that she was a magical and that made him reluctant to go out with her. However, he caved finally and on their first date she told him she was a magical and luckily it all worked out since dad is a magical too. The Domachelli coven isn't has powerful as the Sauveterre coven but he was strong enough to prove to my grandpa that he deserved my mother. Twenty four years later and they had never faltered in their love for one another. It had been a beautiful thing to watch.
Shutting the bedroom door I turn to my luggage. I have to find my necessities and my outfit for tomorrow. Digging through the luggage I finally found what I was looking for. I hung up the dress for tomorrow, pulled the rest of my luggage into the closet as well. Grabbing my chargers I plugged my phone and iPod in next to my bed and headed for the bathroom to take a shower. Looking in the mirror I really see myself for the first time in weeks. In all honesty I don't look too much better than dad does. My eyes are still swollen from all the crying I've done. The dark circles under my eyes aren't as bad as his but they are there. I need to rest tonight, that's for sure.
As I cross my room I look towards the dresser, all those pictures of all those people that I have loved and lost. Memories can be just as harsh as the loss of someone. I almost walk over and pull every picture down but then I can't bring myself to do it. I don't want to forget any of them or those times, they've made me who I am today. Suddenly, thunder rumbles in the distance, making me jump. I use to love stormy weather and now I can't even stand the sound of thunder. As I sit on the bed Poe jumps down and gets comfortable on the floor next to my bed while Luna moves to the other pillow and curls up. I lay back and close my eyes, sleep finds me quickly, and the last thing I think about is mom.
Mom must have known I was homesick because as I made my way through the door, just in time for dinner, I smelled cheeseburgers and fries cooking. Walking into the dining room I smiled at her "that obvious?" with a chuckle she said "just a little". After we ate I went down the hall to my room to finish my homework and get ready for bed. Finishing my shower I still felt very homesick so pulling my wet hair into a messy bun I went to my white chest of drawers, after some digging I finally found my purple and gold Trojan hoodie from Daphne. Pulling it over my head I made my way to my desk, popping my earbuds in as I sat down. The Phantom of the Opera was suddenly all that I could hear. I had to learn all the words before my audition to play Christine. Hearing the song come to an end sent me back to being homesick. I could only distract myself for so long. Rummaging through my drawer I found the jump drive that held all my pictures from back home. Opening the files one by one I stared at the pictures trying to remember the details of the moments. The feelings I had felt, the smells, and of course the music.
Stopping to study a picture of Garrett and I, the night before I left, we're sitting on the vintage car backseat that he and his dad made into a couch in their old barn that they used to fix up old cars. Guitar in his hand and me singing away, he's looking towards me with a smile on his face; my eyes are closed, lost in the song. It's amazing how you don't see a single trace of resentment in his eyes. I really do miss him not that I'd ever admit that out loud; although I think mom and Jaiver have figured it out. Feeling the burn in my eyes I look to my French doors that are left slightly open to let the fresh air in. Staring at the city lights I start to feel myself calm. I had always loved city lights and Paris had some of the best.
At some point while flipping through the pictures Luna moved sensing my despair from her spot on the floor next to Poe to my lap where I had absentmindedly been stroking her. Poe jumped up with his hair standing up on his back and hissed. Luna jumped from the place on my lap to the floor and began to circle my chair. Staring at them, trying to figure out what was going on, I was suddenly hit with the smell of soured milk. Dark magical was all I could think. Removing my earbuds I turned towards my closed bedroom door. A flash of gold and black lightening flashed under the bottom followed by a silver and white lightening flash. My mom was fighting a dark magical somewhere in our house. Close enough that I could see the flashes of the magic they were throwing at one another.
Standing up from the desk chair I made my way to the door, cracking it open I peeked out. Lightening flashed right beside my door taking down the large mirror we had hanging in the hallway. As it hit the floor, shattering to pieces, my mom looked in my direction. Her green eyes met mine, pleading with me to remember the promise I had made. I never imagined I'd have to follow through on the promise and somehow now standing there I couldn't bring myself to move towards the hiding place. Reading my eyes my mom sent one flash of silver and white lightening my way, knocking me into my room and slamming the door.
Frozen in the spot where I had landed I could feel my panic well up inside me. Luna quickly jumped onto my legs reminding me that I needed to move. Poe was already at the closet door, scratching to get me to open it. Finally getting to my feet I opened the door and crawled inside. In the far right hand corner was a very small trap door with a very small space. I had promised my mom if anything like this ever happened I would hide there until she or Poe come to get me. As I crawled inside with Luna on my heels I couldn't help but regret that promise now. I should be out there helping mom fight. After what seemed like hours instead of minutes, I heard a cry of pain. It sounded like my mom’s voice but I couldn't be sure because of the agony in the voice. The only thing I could think was please don't let it be her.
Sitting in the cramped space that seemed to be shrinking with each breath I took I felt the panic growing again. While trying to calm myself I heard something that sounded like my bedroom door being blown to pieces followed by footsteps. Trying to fight the urge to scream I pulled my knees to my chest. I heard my closet door open; I was going to scream I could feel it. They would find us in this hiding place and that would be it. Suddenly, Luna was on top of my knees, extending her paw to my lips as a silent 'shh'. Staring into her large golden eyes I felt my panic start to disappear. A loud boom signaling the exit of the dark magical was deafening. Luna and I sat in the little space until I heard scratching on the door. Poe! I thought but then I realized what that meant. If Poe was scratching on my door it meant my mom was hurt or worse. Opening the door Luna darted out, once outside the cramped space I attempted to stand. It was much harder that I thought it would be, my legs were shaking so bad I didn't know if I could even walk.
Leaving the closet I see that my bedroom door had in fact been blown to pieces. My cats dashed into the hallway as I tried to make it to the doorway. Looking into the hallway sent me into a stage of shock. It was completely destroyed. The mist left over from all the magic that had been used still lingered in the air. I couldn't bring myself to move, couldn't even remember why I had come out here in the first place. However, seeing Poe's sky gray eyes shining down the hallway quickly reminded me. Mom! I remembered. As quickly as I possibly could I navigated the destruction of the hallway. I was only a few feet away from my cats when I saw the blonde haired head on the floor. Rooted in place I just stared at her unmoving body. This couldn't be real I thought.
Suddenly, I found a surge of energy and ran the few feet to my mother. Once there the shock hit me again, my mom laid in an awkward position her green eyes fixed on the ceiling. Cheeks completely drained of color, her small body not showing any sign of breathing. Finally, the scream and tears I had been holding in ripped itself from soul, legs giving way to the fight of trying to keep me standing. I collapsed on the floor next to my mom landing in a pool of liquid, no not liquid, blood, my mom’s blood.'
As I feel the blood on my hands in the nightmare I am quickly jarred awake. I’m sitting straight up in my bed, sweat pouring off me and screaming my lungs out. Suddenly, covering my mouth with both hands I squeezed my eyes shut praying I hadn't woken my dad. He didn't need to deal with this again. I listened for any indication that I had woken him but heard none. Good, I thought to myself. Then I remembered that even if he hadn't heard me Evan and Makayla most definitely had especially with their supernatural hearing.
I got out of my bed and made it to my bathroom where I splashed cold water on my face to calm myself. As I made my way back to my bed I found myself trying to piece together what had happened after finding my mom. It was all just one big, numb blur. I remember lying next to her, holding onto her cold hand and crying uncontrollably. Finally, I had cried out all the tears my body could produce but I stayed laying there dry sobbing. I knew I should move, I knew I should go call Javi cause his family would know what to do. I knew at any minute the dark magical could return and I'd be an easy kill but I didn't care. I was drowning in my sorrow and I didn't care. 
The morning came and went. By afternoon Javi and his mom Maria came to the house. When I didn't answer they let themselves in. Seeing the sight of mom and I laying there sent Maria into action. I think she thought I was dead too. Maria placed the phone to her ear and started to speak in Spanish with tears in her eyes. Javi made his way down the hall towards me moving very slowly. As he kneeled beside me he placed his hand on my back, feeling that I was still breathing, he began to rub but I was so numb I felt nothing. Minutes later Javi's dad Luis and his brother Isaiah arrived. Luis tried to pick me up but the minute I lost the grip on my mom’s hand I lost it. Screaming, kicking, and thrashing about. All I knew was that I couldn't, wouldn't leave my mom. It took Javi, Isaiah and Luis to hold me down while Maria placed her hands on either side of my head. I felt the magic flow through me. A calming spell followed by a sleeping spell. When I finally woke up my dad and Wayne were already in Paris. My room had already been packed and shipped back to Daphne. My whole world was upside down. I had been dis enrolled from Cours Florent and was now going to be a junior at Daphne High School instead.
Finally, laying back down I closed my eyes and took a deep breath as I looked around my room. This was my new reality. My old room in my old small hometown in Alabama. No city lights, just the crickets and bull frogs. It use to comfort me now it just reminds me of how much my life has changed over the last three weeks. No more Paris, no more French anything, no more mom. Ugh! I couldn't think about it. If I did the panic would win and I would lose the battle within myself. How did they ever think I was going be able to win a battle against a dark magical when I couldn't even keep my panic in check?
This was my life now, I had to figure it all out some way; but first I needed to get some rest since I started back to school tomorrow. Three years was a long time to be away. A lot had changed. I had changed and for the first time I was actually looking forward to going to school in this small town. I looked at Luna, watching me as she always did. I patted her head and closed my eyes as I drifted back off to sleep.

Garrett
Today had been a long day. Sitting on the couch in my bedroom going over my French homework again I found my mind wondering everywhere but the book that lay in front of me. My body already knew that Arabella was back in Alabama, the tension in my muscles had started to ache an hour before. Finally, giving up on the homework I tossed the book back on the couch, getting up I make my way to the bathroom. I need to get ready for the date with Lydia which means I have to shave because she hates stubble. After showering and shaving I head back up to the attic that I turned into a mini-apartment.
Checking my phone I see a text from my mom "Leaving Birmingham now, airport was a mess, took longer than we thought".
"K I'm going out with Lydia tonight FYI"
" :/ OK but be home before curfew" she said, she wasn't too fond of Lydia.
"Yes ma'am :)" I said.
Turning on my radio I headed for my closet, looking for something to wear that Lydia wouldn't complain about all night was the trick. We weren't doing anything fancy, just going to Malbis Restaurant and then over to a movie. However, she thought we had reputations to up hold and that I didn't care enough about my appearance. Getting dressed in some jeans, boots, black muscle tank and red button up shirt that I didn’t bother to button up I grab my keys and phone and head out to my truck. Locking up the three story log inspired house since no one else is home yet I turn and head for my truck. A 1978 black Ford truck with a lift kit. Dad and I have redone everything so that outside looks vintage but the inside screams modern, red leather seat, major stereo system with an iPod/phone hookup and a red, black and chrome dashboard. It was my pride and joy.
Getting into the truck I plug in my phone in and hit play, Justin Moore fills the cab of the truck, rolling down the windows I make my way down my driveway. Stopping I look to my right and see Arabella's house half a mile down the road from mine. We both live in the rural part of Daphne where all your neighbors are at least half a mile away if not more. In between our houses is a tree filled area, as kids we used to spend hours in there pretending they were magic but really it was just Arabella filling the area with hers. We had used the short cut through the trees so long to get to each other's house that we had worn it down to a path. Looking in that direction I wondered if that path still existed. I hadn't stepped foot in there since she left, my phone ringing brought me back to reality. My screen read Lydia.
"Hey babe, I'm in the truck fixing to leave my drive way now"
"Oh good, cause you're already late, I hope you have a good excuse" I could already here the annoyance in her voice. Checking the time I saw that I wasn't late. I still had fifteen minutes to spare but I knew better than to bring that up.
"Sorry, I'll be there shortly." I replied with a sigh.
"Fine." she said hanging up the phone without a good bye.
Making my way through town I couldn't help but feel like I was going down memory lane. Every place I looked had some memory of Arabella and me. Once I reached Lydia's house I got out of the truck with the intention of going up to the door. Before I could make it she appeared at the door and headed down the sidewalk. Walking around I opened the passenger side door for her. Looking at her I couldn't help but think that most guys would kill to be in my position right now.
Lydia Cox was the head cheerleader, 5' 9", perfect body, medium length red hair, sky blue eyes, porcelain skinned. She always had the best of everything; her parents had made sure of that. Her dad was a judge while her mom stayed busy with charity work. Studying her I couldn't help but see the contrast between Lydia and Arabella. Currently, Lydia wore a skin tight yellow dress that was actually short enough to just be a long shirt, white heels and about a pound of makeup, her hair was curled perfectly as usual. Thinking back to elementary school I remember how Lydia had made Arabella's life a living hell. Lydia picked on her relentlessly, mostly because Arabella was the polar opposite. Lydia is all about appearance and her reputation. Speaking of appearance I can tell that she is already unimpressed with mine.
Shaking her head at me "Really Garrett?"
"What?" I say looking at her.
"Could you have at least dressed up to take me out?"
"I did" I replied.
Making a sound of annoyance she climbs into the truck. "Would it kill you to button up the shirt and pull your hair back? I hate when it's all down. Or better yet why don't you just get a haircut?"
Shutting the door allows me to ignore whatever else she said. Once I'm back in the truck I turn to her "It's nice to see you too". Starting the engine, my country music quickly comes back to life annoying Lydia further. Going through her purse she finds a CD, unplugs my phone and places the cd in the player. Beyonce is suddenly flooding all my senses, while Lydia smiles, dancing and singing along. Looking over at me "You'd be so lost without me". I make no comment and just continue to drive.
I could tell Arabella was getting closer to Daphne because I could sense my emotions becoming a roller coaster. Normally, I can keep everything in check but tonight even my mild annoyance is growing into anger. I have to keep reminding myself to stay calm. Looking over at Lydia I can't help but remember the day I asked her out. It was two weeks after Belle left town, I asked Lydia to the movies and she said yes. Not really knowing why I had wanted to ask her except for two reasons. 1.) She was the opposite of everything Belle was popular, confident and obviously hot. After spending so much time with Arabella I wanted a change. 2.) The resentment I had held for Belle and having to protect her then was eating me alive and in some way dating Lydia was a way of rebelling against it all. Being with the one person who had made her life a living hell, the one person that I had always had to protect her from until the night she left, in some ways it felt liberating to be with Lydia. Or at least it use to feel that way, now I don't know what I feel. 
From the corner of my eye I stare at my girlfriend. She was everything I should want as a 17 year old boy but I couldn't deny that I had been missing something for a while now. No, not something...someone...I had started to Miss Arabella last year. My parents left with her dad to go visit Eden and Belle in Paris for her parents wedding anniversary. I had refused to go, I hadn't talked to Arabella since the night she left. It really didn't make much sense for me just to show up after almost two years of silence. Besides, I really had no desire to see her, or so I told myself.
When my parents arrived back they kept telling us how much Belle had changed and grown up. The girl they were describing was like a whole other person. Later that night I found my thoughts going to her wondering if she really could have changed that much. I doubted it, she had always been so insecure in her own skin, and I couldn't see that changing. Over the next few months though I found myself becoming more and more curious about the girl I used to know. Snapping fingers brought me out of my thoughts. Lydia was snapping her fingers in front of my face because I was sitting at a green light. Feeling my anger flare, I punched the gas, sending her flying back into her seat.
"What's your damage?" she exclaimed. 
Reminding myself to calm down, taking deep breaths I replied "Sorry, I zoned out". 
Rolling her eyes, "You could have killed me back there".
I chuckle "Not likely".
Letting out a huff of air from her frustration with me she reaches for the volume to turn the music up some more. Finally, we reach Mabli's, pulling into the first parking spot I find. Once out of the truck I go around to the passenger side to help Lydia out but she's already stomping away towards the restaurant. Jogging to catch up, I grab her arm "You want to wait for your boyfriend?"
"I would if he hadn't turned bipolar over the last few days, no actually the past few weeks. You've been totally different towards me and everyone else ever since your family told you that four eyed cow was coming back to town. Now, I know you use to slum it with her but I highly doubt that will be the case now. You’re popular, captain and quarterback of the football team and you have the hottest girlfriend in school. You have everything going for you and if you decide to slum it with the cow again I'm sure you would lose all of that. You wouldn't want to do that, so whatever the deal is fix it and fix it now!" she turned on her heel and headed for the restaurant.
Standing there I could feel my anger turning into rage, my muscles started to react, and my body wanted to shift but I couldn't let it. Turning around I walked back to the truck, my first intention was to get back in and leave but I couldn't just leave Lydia there. Placing my hands on the tailgate I closed my eyes and took some deep breaths, trying to calm myself. Then suddenly there was a change, but only a change that a supernatural would notice. The air that always buzzed with electricity from the supernatural and magic that surrounded Daphne became high voltage. Arabella. She was officially back in Daphne. Thinking of her immediately calmed me. My anger and rage were traded for a slow burn in my veins. I was feeling the burning of her magic in her veins. I could picture her veins lighting up like silver lightening as the magic grew stronger.
Debating if I should go inside or leave and go to Arabella's, the need to be close so I could protect her was overwhelming after three years of numbness. Then I thought of what Lydia had said. All I had wanted for so long was to be “normal” and I finally had that. Finally, I didn't have to fight someone else's battles, I fit in with my friends but I also had to lie to them constantly. I was never really myself with them because they could never know about the curse, although I had gotten away with it this long so why not the rest of high school. Shaking my head I turned around and headed towards the restaurant.
After dinner Lydia begged to go to Mobile bay where the rest of football team and cheer-leading squad would be. Giving in because let’s face it, I owed her for earlier, we got in the truck and headed that way. As we got out of the truck I grabbed Lydia's hand and turned her to face me. "I'm sorry about how I've been acting. I've been really stressed with football and school. Arabella coming back is different but it's not the issue. You know I need a scholarship in order to afford college and my only hope of that is through football but I'm already doing terrible in French. If I can't get it fixed I won't even be eligible to play but I shouldn't have taken it out on you." I was lying, I had lied to her for so long now it was just second nature for me, but I knew it was better to soothe her and the situation then to tell the truth. Besides, I wasn't even sure what the truth was anymore.
Looking at me she smiled "Don't worry baby, I'll help you with your stress" running her hands down my chest to my hips. Leaning down I kissed her while she navigated us back to the truck.
After dropping Lydia back off, I sat at a four way stop trying to decide which way to head home. I was already past curfew so I could go the long way home which would allow me to pass by Belle's house but why did I feel the need to pass by it? Still not having an answer I took the turn that would take me the long way. As I was driving I turned the AC off and rolled down the windows. The cab became filled with the cool air and smell of alfalfa. It calms every sense in my body. As I approach her house I slow down, eventually pulling over to the shoulder of the road. I can see the porch light is still on but everything else is dark. Staring at her window I wonder what she is doing or thinking right now. I do know none of her emotions are high enough for me to feel them. Finally, I get back on the road and make it to my house, going in as quietly as I possibly can so hopefully I won't get in trouble. To my luck my parents are already in bed and fast asleep.
As soon as I shut my door my phone chimes with a text, Lydia "Don't forget to be at school tomorrow by 7, you promised to help me set up for the pep rally. Love you baby--xoxo". Damn, I forgot I had promised her that, stripping off my clothes as I head for my bed I can't help but wonder what tomorrow will bring. Closing my eyes I fall asleep immediately. A couple hours later I'm jolted awake by the ending of Arabella's nightmare. "Wow! That was intense." I say to myself. I had heard about being sucked into dreams or nightmares through the connection before but had never experienced it before. It was a very strange feeling. I was there as if I was her, I could see all that she saw, feel all that she felt, and hear what all she heard and thought.
The nightmare was from the night in Paris when her mother was killed. Re-positioning myself I tried to go back to sleep but two things from the nightmare were now haunting me. First, see Eden lying there...dead, was worse than I could ever imagine. Seeing her normally life filled eyes so still and dead was a hard image to get rid of. The second thing was the pain and grief that had literally knocked Belle to her knees. It felt like she was drowning, like she had no will left to live herself, and the scream that escaped her mouth upon seeing her mom was something I never wanted to hear come from her mouth again.

As I lay in bed my body ached to go to her and comfort her. Tell her everything was going to be alright and that I would always be there, but we both knew that I had already broken that promise. The oath I took to protect her was electrically charging every muscle in my body until her emotion of the moment hit me...sadness. Her soul right now was so filled with sadness. I wanted to fix it but knew of no way to do that. She must have eventually fallen asleep a few hours later because her emotions left me. As I laid in the dark with just my own thoughts and emotions. Suddenly, regret was flooding within me. I had lied, ignored, and probably hurt the one person I had vowed not to, all because I wanted to be “normal”. I regretted everything I had done the last few months Belle was in Daphne and everything after she left. I didn't know what emotion was worse resentment or regret. Rolling over I closed my eyes and finally drifted back off to sleep. Makayla banging on my door woke me up the next morning. 


Until next time...
❤❤

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet the characters of Pedal to the Metal: Jagger & Londynn

As I finish up the edits on Pedal to the Metal: Jagger & Londynn I thought you might enjoy seeing the pictures that inspired the characters. Enjoy! Pedal to the Metal: Jagger & Londynn follows the story of Jagger James and Londynn Parrish. Jagger is one of five brothers that have a need for speed. They are all named after 80s music stars, they all race as if their lives depend on it and their all a little bad ass. They grew up on the poorer side of town but it only made them fight harder at the races every weekend.  Jagger met a girl named Harlyn Bexton as a teenager and quickly fell in love. After high school they started a life together only to have tragedy strike. Staying in L.A. is out of the question for Jagger afterwards so he runs to Vegas only to return five years later. Londynn Parrish is your typical trust fund baby. Born and raised in one of the richest parts of L.A., attended a private academy and was given anything money could buy. However, what she wants isn

New Release: Breaking Bloody Mary by Stephanie Nichole

Happy Halloween! I’ve got the perfect Halloween release for you! Breaking Bloody Mary is now live on amazon and it’s free on KU! We’ve all heard about the legend of Bloody Mary but what if the legend wasn’t just a legend? What if Bloody Mary was real? What if she broke free from the mirror that bound her? Olivette and Penn grew up with a love for urban legends. Monthly trips to Conjurer’s Apothecary with the creepy shop owner, Oski, helped their thirst for the supernatural. Olivette and Penn were best friends and while Olivette believed in the magic behind the legends, Penn tried to explain them. Then one day Olivette makes a decision that will change everything. She changes herself to please her mother, leaving Penn and her love for urban legends behind until Bloody Mary is summoned and she manages to break free from the mirror that binds her. The only person Olivette can turn to is Penn and Oski. It soon becomes a clear that Olivette has secrets of her own and

Book Swag

How was your weekend? Mine was pretty awesome. I got my place decorated for Halloween, finished watching the 13 seasons of Supernatural on Netflix (Wow!) and started watching Riverdale. I got some writing done was well which is always great! Also the coolest thing ever was created! Kingston has an awesome store called Readers Envy and my current WIP, Red, has merchandise! A coffee mug, t-shirt and tote bag so far! It's so awesome! Check them out below! Coffee mug-- https://teespring.com/red-october-2018?page=3&tsmac=store&tsmic=readers-envy-author-events#pid=658&cid=102908&sid=front T-shirt-- https://teespring.com/red-9192?page=3&tsmac=store&tsmic=readers-envy-author-events#pid=370&cid=6531&sid=front Tote bag-- https://teespring.com/red-9192?page=3&tsmac=store&tsmic=readers-envy-author-events#pid=526&cid=101936&sid=front